Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Ready In: 40 minutes Serves: 6
This is the recipe for the original Austrian apple strudel! It is so much easier than most recipes on the internet say. The original apple strudel contains raisins but I don’t like them so I always make them without. This recipe is with a bought dough but you can also make the strudel dough yourself.
10 apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
1 strudel dough
1/4 cup bread crumbs
4 teaspoons of raisins (optional)
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Confectioners’ sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 374 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread out a dish towel or small table cloth and spread out the strudel dough leaving a few inches on each side, enough that you can grab it well.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Put in the bread crumbs and brown them until they are golden brown.
- Remove from heat. (CAUTION: the bread crumbs can get darker due to the remaining heat in the frying pan.)
- Put the bread crumbs onto the strudel dough. Add the apples on top of the bread crumbs.
- Dust the apples with the cinnamon.
- Fold the lengths of the strudel a little over the filling so it won’t fall out.
- Use the dish towel to roll the strudel.
- Put the strudel onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Melt the rest of the butter and brush the strudel with it.
- Bake the strudel in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla sauce.
To make them gluten free, omit the bread crumbs and to veganize them, use sunflower oil instead of the butter.